May 25. 2015
With the completion of the spring production run at the beginning of this month, we wanted to showcase a few of the new designs and features brought to you by spinfab design studio for immediate sale, and a hint of a few designs which will be dropping soon.
1. bbs RF hex tops v.2.0 – tweaks to the design which enable the use of the standard bbs hex tool to tighten and take off
2. bbs RS large thread half height billet hex – slight tweaks to the design to further engineer out unneeded weight, and couple with more threads
3. bbs RS small thread half height hex – rerun of past design with a few minor tweaks
4. bbs RS large thread premium hex caps – brand new design, machined bbs logos built into the design for the person wanting the truly premium set. can be entirely polished, plated, chromed, etc.. no need for the resin logos
5. bbs RS billet waffle plates – brand new design, full description below discussing the design and its vast improvements over oem.
6. bbs style 5 billet waffle plates to convert your style 5 into a large face bbs rs – brand new design, only one of its kind.
6. bbs style 5 billet waffle plates + 1/2 ht. hex caps drop in* – brand new design, only one of its kind, description and info below.
7. OZ futura center cap assemblies – brand new design, full description below discussing the design
8. BBS full height hex top sleeves for wheels with plastic hex caps – slight tweaks to the design to further engineer out unneeded weight and improved tightness over oem plastic hex caps
The items we are most excited to be adding to our lineup are in bold. Months of planning, engineering, and machine time have gone into these new offerings
bbs RS billet waffle plates
- This project was started here at the studio for a few reasons
1. bbs oem waffle plates 09.24.028 were becoming harder and harder to source over the years
2. quality of the oem waffle plates are not great. it is a thin stamped metal part and doesn’t hold up well to time.
3.The thin oem metal waffle caps tend to warp and bend when overtightened and fit horribly once bent
4. The thin nature of the metal plates causes some issues with finishing. In the case of powder coating for example, the average powdercoater doesn’t take into account the fact that the wheel face and waffle plate are 2 completely different materials, and are very different thicknesses. Many report colors being off after being in the oven to bake the powder. This is because of the needed adjustment of time in the oven that most out there don’t seem to account for, and also the fact that the cool down periods are quite different for that of a forged aluminum face which has thicknesses over and inch in some spots, compared to a stamped metal waffle which has a half millimeter thickness throughout. Proper preparation of the caps vs face is also different, media to blast with is different, the list goes on..
so our challenge was to design a part with way better tolerances than that of the original, same material quality as the faces, and thickness that allows for the same prep, finishing, and cool down as the faces they are working with. We wanted a part that fit way better than the original plates do, and could stand up to time and abuse. The thin oem metal waffle caps tend to warp and bend when overtightened, these wont do that. The waffle plates don’t fit the faces well, these do. The oem waffle plates are hard to find, and harder to find in good condition… We are proud to say thats no longer an issue! Introducing the spinFAB billet waffle plate for the BBS RS
comparison shot of oem vs billet – machined finish
add in our billet half height large thread hex caps and oem logos
machined to allow for finishing tolerances without making contact and damaging the wheel face
Again, these are available for immediate sale on our webstore
OZ futura center cap assemblies – brand new design
similar to that of the bbs counterparts, the OZ futura is a timeless wheel many find quite sought after, and want to build. Made from the late ’80s through the late ’90s, these wheels are forged aluminum construction and feature matching center caps (m298) which over the years have gotten quite hard to source. Many were lost or stolen, damaged, etc.
spinFAB Billet OZ center cap assemblies feature billet 6061 construction, far better tolerances than the originals, logos machined right onto the caps, ability to be finished to anything under the sun, and ability to couple these with carbon rings or stainless rings to suit your build*
mock up pictures on a set we are soon to be building. don’t mind all the raw unfinished parts
these are available for immediate sale on our webstore
bbs style 5 billet waffle plates to convert your style 5 into a “large face bbs rs” – brand new design
We went back to the drawing board on this one. most buy the style 5 wheel because it looks similar to the arguably most popular wheel of all time, the bbs rs. The style 5 is cheaper to find, more common, came as factory equipment on a few cars, and is a simpler 2 piece construction (face + barrel). Unfortunately there are downsides to this wheel being a cheaper wheel, most notably the center cap assemblies being made of plastic.. Limits buyers to either not running a center cap at all, or having to paint the wheel face and center cap rather than powder coat. You don’t see polished style5 wheels out there for a reason; the center cap being made of plastic limits the potential of this wheel
we have been for a few years machining style 5 wheel faces with weld in threaded center bore sleeves (not offered for sale to the general public) and coupling this with machined oem bbs waffle plates and our half height billet hex caps, but the amount of work, time, and the fact that the oem rs waffle plate spokes don’t line up exactly with that of the style 5 face caused us to want to rethink the whole thing, which has been the driving force behind this project. Reference picture below of the machined in threaded center bore sleeve that is still offered on a custom set going through the full treatment (style 5 3 piece 18″ shown).
for the normal buyer though wanting an easier alternative-
style 5 billet waffle plates. drop in to the style 5 face, can be coupled with our drop in half height center caps for a seamless install with no modification to the actual wheel** Now you can finish the wheel to whatever finish you can think of, have the look of a bbs rs, and now even have more opportunities to fit newer cars with our 3 piece conversions to 18″ and 19″ sizing.. A major benefit to this is that the style 5 face is way larger in diameter than the bbs rs faces out there, and doesn’t need a huge slanted lip to upsize the wheel to 18″ or 19″ sizes/ Lets face it, the double and triple step designs are awesome because they make a wheel suited for early ’90s cars in 16″ size and allow them to be built to larger diameters to suit more modern day cars, but they really are a love it or hate it thing. Why not start with a larger diameter face and couple with a simple stepped lip to make a 19″ wheel suitable for most cars of today.
the waffle plate and hex with a style 5 (rc090) face
waffle plate fitment
press in the hex to hold it down
add your 70mm bbs logos (can be found in our webstore)
machined to perfectly match up with that of the style 5 face. before the only option was machining down oem waffle plates which left you with mismatched spokes almost 2mm off of each other
vs the oem waffle plate being machined to fit, and unfortunately still not lining up exactly
These will be available for ship in the month of July from our webstore
picture comparison of 18″ rs triple step vs 19″ style5 3 piece conversion to come shortly. for now, the two faces (17″ RS & RC090 style5) for comparison
can you tell the difference anymore? 16″ rs face vs 17″ style 5 face with our billet drop in additions shown… upsizing the very small bbs rs face to 18″ requires triple upsizing while 18″ in the style 5 converted “rs” requires a standard stepped lip and 19″ requires a double step. finally options for a larger faced timeless wheel
To be clear, the billet style 5 waffle plate is not the same part as the rs billet waffle plate, and shares nothing in its design. both have different thicknesses, different overall diameters, different center holes, and the actual pattern itself is not even the same.
These need to be ordered for the correct wheel when ordering off of our site. Info can be found on the big cartel link, and or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Again, all of this can be looked at in further detail at the spinfab store spinfab.bigcartel.com
In the next month, the half height style 5 pop in hex will be complete and ready for sale (undergoing engineering adjustments) and we have a pair of fun new product designs to complement the wheel parts for inside of the car that should get people going. Wheel whores, stay tuned… heres a partial teaser, full explanation and information on how it will all work to come.
*coming summer 2015
**buyer to verify fitment.